18 August 2008

Just for Men: Hair Product or Song Ruiner?

If there's one thing I hate, it's ads that take great songs and kill them. Everytime I see a "patriotic" commercial playing Fortunate Son, I sort of want to puke. Apparently people don't actually care what the song is about, but if you can take a few lines out of context and run Brett Favre around a cornfield you can sell some shitty jeans.

The latest example of advertising killing great music is this Just for Men commercial that plays Cream's Sunshine of Your Love. I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about. It features the douchey gray-haired guy with surfboard, who is later onstage making feeble pretend-guitar hand motions while his haggard fake-blonde, cougar-style girlfriend plays a tambourine. She's also not wearing nearly enough clothing.

I'm sure this commercial is effective, at least more so than the previous Just for Men campaigns which featured washed-up sports stars doing play-by-play as dirty old men hit on disproportionately hot young ladies. Of course, as soon as the guy dyes his beard the 22-year-old Victoria's Secret model immediately wants to get it on. It almost made me want to try out some Just for Men. That being said, don't murder a fantastic classic song with your crappy hair product for people who want to make it painfully obvious that they're getting old by dying their hair ever-so-slightly unnatural colors.

Sigh.

No comments: